Copyright © All rights reserved. Made by iPro Tech Support & Web Design
In 1919 a local committee was formed, chaired by the then Lord Sandys, to discuss a memorial for those fallen in the Great War and to celebrate those who had returned safely. The Memorial Hall was started in 1922 and opened in December 1923 by the then Lord Cobham. The cost was £1,667. Many individuals and societies helped to fund the project and there is a scroll in the hall that records those who contributed
The land and buildings are overseen by a group of seven Trustees and day to day activities managed by the Hall Committee. The Hall is a charity and supported by donations, grants and lettings of the premises and playing fields.
The Hall, under the management of ongoing Committees, has grown in size over the years. In the 1970s the Jubilee Room was added to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth ll. It cost £20,000, an enormous sum at the time. This was followed by a porch extension in 1993 for a further £16,000.
The latest development, a kitchen extension and improvements to the toilet facilities, was made after extensive consultations with local people and users. Much fundraising, generous grants and donations raised over £75000 to pay for this. Amongst the donations were grants from Wychavon District Council, Ombersley Parish Council, Ombersley Conservation Trust, Richardson Brothers Foundation and many others as well as private individuals. The present Committee has ambitious plans for further phased improvements if funds can be found.
The Hall is vital to village life. It is used by many clubs and societies (Dancing, Drama, Gardening, Pilates, Sunshine, Playgroup, Painting, Wl, Women's RBL, Youth and Football). The Parish Council meet in the Hall and it serves as the Polling Station when elections are held