Our History


In 1919 a local committee was formed, chaired by the then Lord Sandys, to discuss a memorial for those fallen in the Great War and to celebrate those who had returned safely. The Memorial Hall was started in 1922 and opened in December 1923 by the then Lord Cobham. The cost was £1,667. 

The Hall, under the management of ongoing Committees, has grown in size over the years. In the 1970s the Jubilee Room was added to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth ll. It cost £20,000, an enormous sum at the time. This was followed by a porch extension in 1993 for a further £16,000.

 Next to come was a new kitchen extension and improvements to the toilet facilities. Much fundraising, generous grants and donations raised over £75000 to pay for this. Amongst the donations were grants from Wychavon District Council, Ombersley Parish Council, Ombersley Conservation Trust, Richardson Brothers Foundation and many others as well as private individuals

In 2019 some major improvements to the hall were made.The work was carried out in two phases.
The extension and refurbishment of the Jubilee Room and the complete refurbishment of the Main Hall including the provision of a new demountable stage.